udv-hsz hsz-csik

Min: 4
Max: 7
Min: -2
Max: 0

About Szentegyháza

Szentegyháza town, situated in Hargita county, was part of the town Oláhfalva together with Kápolnásfalu until 1876, then became a separate village, being renamed Szentegyházasfalu. From 1968 has regain once more the status of town.
Szentegyháza is the result of the fusion of two townships: Szentegyházasfalu (in the old times named Oláhfalu) and Szentkeresztbánya.
The small town is placed in the middle of the distance between Székelyudvarhely and Csíkszereda, in the southern part of the Central Hargita mountains’ foreground, in the middle of Szentegyházasfalvi-Láz. Szentegyháza is situated on the highest point of Hargita county at 860 mtrs. Homoródfürdő and Lövétebánya belong to the town as well.
The northern part of the town – Oláhfalu – was named after a sheppard called Oláh János, the first man settled down in this region.
The southern part, together with the old Szentkeresztbánya Rókaváros township, was named Székelyváros (Szeklertown) in 1848.
The lion of the town is the forge, which has historical value, and the metallurgical plant, where, in the old times, was melted the very high quality local white iron.

Its name (Szentegyháza = Saint’s Church) refers to a very old church, standing since 1360 and was first mentioned in written in 1614. In the time of the Transylvanian Principality, Szentegyháza was a privileged village, the main occupation of the inhabitants being the logging.  In 1575 István Báthory gave a lot of liberties to the natives. In 1801 the settlement got the right to hold markets. In 1836 Szentkeresztbánya was joined to the township and soon after the metallurgical plant was built. The plant was burnt down by the Russian soldiers, so it had to be reconstructed. In 1860 there were put up forges.

In 1910 the town had 2289 inhabitants, all hungarian, excepting one. Until the Peace Settlement of Trianon, the township belonged to Udvarhely County. In 1992 there were 7265 inhabitants, out of which 7193 Hungarian, 60 Romanian, 7 German and 5 Romany.

In the past the main economical activity of Szentegyházasfalu was the sylviculture, and secondary the stock raising. The economical development came from the local givens. There are 7200 acres of pinewood and almost the same pasture-land belonging to the town.

The pride of the town is the Children Philharmonic (“Fili”- as called by the locals), where 140 youngsters are singing and playing instruments. The chore was founded by Sándor Haáz, who still conducts it.  They have a great popularity, both home and abroad, and they make many tours in Hungary and all Europe.

The tourism in Szentegyháza knew a big development in the past ten-twenty years. The new democratic regime opened the gates to the tourists.


  • The roman-catholic church of Saint András, built in 1760, reconstructed in 1822.
  • The old forge where the minerals were manufactured since 1838.
  • In the nearby of the forges there is a mineral water spring called Dobogó, where Gábor Ugron built at the beginning of the 20th century a well-known spa, using the 20˚ C hot mineral water rising up here.
    In 1975 it was discovered, near Majzos stone-pit, water rising up with a temperature of 26˚ C, here was built the Majzos termal bath.
  • At 3.5 km from the town, in Vargyas Valley, stands the Székely-Seltersz pleasure resort known after its salty mineral springs, good for bathing as well.
  • In the near of the town you can find a field of daffodils laying on many hectares, were every year in May it is organized the Daffodils Festival.
  • The Thermal Spa is situated at about 2 km from the town, north to the turn to Szeltersz, on the right side of Vargyas Spring, cca. 824 m above the sea and it was built as the result of some experimental drills, with the help of the inhabitants’ communal work. The water is 24˚ C warm.

Town's hatchment:








Magyar | Romana | English | Deutsch